Saturday, August 05, 2006

Poached Egg in the Microwave



I can't seem to poach eggs the proper way. Not having access to extremely fresh eggs, I would always seem to end up with a watery eggy mess when done the "proper" way. I also refuse to use a third vinegar (a THIRD?!*?) as suggested by one English celebrity spiky haired chef. If I used that amount of vinegar I wouldn't want to eat it! I suppose I could have an egg poacher - but that would be another piece of kitchenware to exasperate M. All I need is a ramekin, the other plus point is it is quicker than waiting for a saucepan of water to boil.

Ingredients:

1 capful of white wine vinegar
1 fl oz of water
1 egg

1. Pour water and vinegar into an average ramekin.
2. Heat on high for 90 seconds in microwave (800W).
3. Immediately crack egg into hot vinegar water mix.
4. Heat on high for 40-50 seconds, depending on how runny you like your yolk.

The following method works for me, with my microwave. Should I ever change microwaves I would have to go through a bit of messy experimentation - like I did Wales. I attempted to poach an egg when staying in a rented cottage in Wales. The microwave was slightly more powerful, I only had balsamic vinegar to hand. I ended up with egg and balsamic splattered all over the microwave. After cleaning that gunk up I relented and took the calorie hit of a fried egg - gorgeous lacy edges and all.

The herbs sprinkled over the top of the egg in the picture is my zataar mix.

1 comment:

Fat Bird Does Exercise said...

So glad that you have blogged your poached egg method - I know you've explained it to me a million times, but I don't seem capapble of remembering!
Now I have to try it out....