Saturday, August 19, 2006

Beach BBQ

Joined G and friends for a beach barbecue (the first in years). We all had to bring something to incinerate and I took the opportunity to try a few experiments, though I did make sure I put some sausages in my shopping basket to keep the old man happy.

First experiment involved some tuna steaks (cut quite thinly - could have been with being a little thicker), chilli flakes, crushed fennel seeds and trickle of olive oil. These were grilled for a minute or so each side so the inside of the steaks were still a little pink and translucent. M was not keen on eating tuna (he never is) so I left him guzzling bangers whilst G and I ate our tuna steaks. Successful, best left until the coals have toned down a little and are not so fierce.

Second experiment was a lazy hack. I bought a ready prepared batch of mussels in garlic butter - the kind you buy in a box and sealed in their own boil in the bag. I decanted these into a foil bag and sealed it up. Again, they were put on a warm barbecue - we could tell they were done after observing the bag puffing up with its own steam for 5 minutes or so. G, P, M and me tucked in, tossing the empty shells on the beach. Delicious, very successful - best place for doing this kind of thing.

Third experiment: cubed fresh pineapple, strawberries and marshmallows. Interesting mess is the best I can say about these!

1 comment:

Fat Bird Does Exercise said...

The tuna & mussels were great! Long live experiments at barbecues - down with the tedium of burgers/sausages/coleslaw!